Mom turned 63 today.. (wow), I know! And the best part is she’s still keeping healthy by God’s grace, still looks young and beautiful, and still has the most contagious laughter. It wasn’t until recently that we came to know October 1st is her birthday. She’s the 10th child from a family of 11 children of Pu Philip-a and Pi Rothangi (my grandparents I never got to meet); she said her parents forgot to remember the day she was born :-) and all they would talk about, was how they’d carry her on their back, and play with her when she was a baby but never mentioned about the date. I guess remembering birthdays wasn't such an issue back then. A few years back, Upa Chalhnuna (L), an elder from our church suggested she’d check the birthday record book in the Synod Office. So me and Mom went through a really thick old book, and traced her name out, and dad’s too (which is on 3rd December).
Anyway, I didn’t give much of a thought about what gift I should get for her, because…… I’m broke! *GRIN*. I’ve been shifted to another project, and my fellowship from my new project hasn’t been sanctioned yet, it has been dragging for a month now! Last year I got her a fancy red purse, this year I thought I’d just let it be. But when I woke up this morning, I couldn’t let the thought of me not getting her anything pass by. I need someone to lend me money. I don’t want to ask my brothers or dad, coz I know they’d give me the cash right away without having the need to be repaid. I wanted it to come from my own. Suddenly, my fourth brother’s girlfriend's face flashed through my mind *grin*. So early morning, I asked my dear sis-in-law to-be (hopefully..hehe) for some cash, and told her I will repay her back, but not THAT soon. The first thing that came to my mind was a Mizo traditional Puan.
Luckily, it didn’t rain in the morning. So I went to class by my scooty. I reached the Department to find that there was some cash for me from my previous project. Oh boy! Was I Happy! “Now I can return the borrowed cash a.s.a.p”. Left the campus at 3pm and there was a slight drizzle. I guess I was in a little rush thinking of all the possible shops where to find the puan; I suddenly encountered a Tripper truck right on the curve and I slipped on a mud. A little bruise on my right leg, no blood, I'll live :-). First checked a shop called Zopar in Chanmari. Then visited Mission Veng Handloom and lastly Tlangnuam Handloom. Mom’s the kind of person who want simple things, and I wanted to get her the perfect gift. Finally made up my mind and drove all the way back to Chanmari and bought her a really pretty puan with black background and multi-coloured pattern at the border. It’s lovely.
I went home with the smell of mouth-watering mutton curry welcoming me. My first brother was on the move! yay! He cooked, and yes, I love his cooking. We had a family prayer before supper. Mom made a small speech of how happy she is to have lived to see 63, reminding us how lucky we are to be living with no loss of life within the family (Thank you God). My two nieces Feli and Dindini prayed. And dinner was served. Mom loved her gift.
I’m so happy to see Mom happy on her 63rd birthday. She has been blessed with a loving husband, to whom she has been married to for 43 years, with 5 sons and an adorable daughter (ahem!) :-), with 4 grand-daughters and a grand-son.I wouldn’t have been what I am today if not for her. I couldn’t ask for a better Mom and I’m proud to be her daughter.
(Just got a text from cousin Prissy saying how happy she is to have my mom till today, and wanted me to mention her name in my blog, so here I am mentioning her name :-) Miss you Pris!)
Anyway, I didn’t give much of a thought about what gift I should get for her, because…… I’m broke! *GRIN*. I’ve been shifted to another project, and my fellowship from my new project hasn’t been sanctioned yet, it has been dragging for a month now! Last year I got her a fancy red purse, this year I thought I’d just let it be. But when I woke up this morning, I couldn’t let the thought of me not getting her anything pass by. I need someone to lend me money. I don’t want to ask my brothers or dad, coz I know they’d give me the cash right away without having the need to be repaid. I wanted it to come from my own. Suddenly, my fourth brother’s girlfriend's face flashed through my mind *grin*. So early morning, I asked my dear sis-in-law to-be (hopefully..hehe) for some cash, and told her I will repay her back, but not THAT soon. The first thing that came to my mind was a Mizo traditional Puan.
Luckily, it didn’t rain in the morning. So I went to class by my scooty. I reached the Department to find that there was some cash for me from my previous project. Oh boy! Was I Happy! “Now I can return the borrowed cash a.s.a.p”. Left the campus at 3pm and there was a slight drizzle. I guess I was in a little rush thinking of all the possible shops where to find the puan; I suddenly encountered a Tripper truck right on the curve and I slipped on a mud. A little bruise on my right leg, no blood, I'll live :-). First checked a shop called Zopar in Chanmari. Then visited Mission Veng Handloom and lastly Tlangnuam Handloom. Mom’s the kind of person who want simple things, and I wanted to get her the perfect gift. Finally made up my mind and drove all the way back to Chanmari and bought her a really pretty puan with black background and multi-coloured pattern at the border. It’s lovely.
I went home with the smell of mouth-watering mutton curry welcoming me. My first brother was on the move! yay! He cooked, and yes, I love his cooking. We had a family prayer before supper. Mom made a small speech of how happy she is to have lived to see 63, reminding us how lucky we are to be living with no loss of life within the family (Thank you God). My two nieces Feli and Dindini prayed. And dinner was served. Mom loved her gift.
I’m so happy to see Mom happy on her 63rd birthday. She has been blessed with a loving husband, to whom she has been married to for 43 years, with 5 sons and an adorable daughter (ahem!) :-), with 4 grand-daughters and a grand-son.I wouldn’t have been what I am today if not for her. I couldn’t ask for a better Mom and I’m proud to be her daughter.
(Just got a text from cousin Prissy saying how happy she is to have my mom till today, and wanted me to mention her name in my blog, so here I am mentioning her name :-) Miss you Pris!)

7 comments:
So sweet of you to care so much for your mom.Happy Birthday to your mom!!!
ok...... not to lie, it nearly reduced me to tears thinking of all the good times that we've share with ur mom.. and sometimes maybe irritating her with our own stupid ways and being completely irrational.
Last year was a blast too, riding around the city, having ice-creams, taking pictures...
P.S I was confused when u said 4 granddaughters, I was like what.. then started counting em. LOL.
Thanks for mentioning my name!
Love you Mimi. My Sister.
@Clio: Thankssss... and thank you for dropping by
@Pris:I know... she's the greatest isn't she. I don't know what i'll be if not for her.. Love you sis!
Give my love, wishes and hugs to aunty! Glad you had such a great time. Truly blessed you are.
And of course, drive more carefully! Grrrr....
Birthdays, after a certain age, is when you realise how old and at the same time how immature you are.
You and your mom are both lucky to have each other! Happy birthday to your mom. Best wishes to her for many many more birthdays!
Post a Comment