This is an excerpt from "My Gratitude Journal" which I have written on 9th Sept 2007.
First, how I got the idea of keeping a Gratitude Journal.
I once read in a book called 31 Girl by Mary Simpson that one should keep such a journal, to remind ourselves of the blessings that we have received from the Almighty. It is an inspiring book, and I'd like to recommend any girl out there to grab a copy of it. It has helped me a lot in my walk of life.
Since Father's day is coming up, I thought it would be nice if I publish this in my blog. So here it is, with a few necessary modifications and omissions here and there, from the original.
Dad, you are a kind man, gentle in your deeds and hardworking. You've taught me a lot with your silent actions. You believe in 'action speaks louder than words'. Thank you so much for all your kindness and patience. I know I'm not the perfect daughter, and it was difficult for you and mom especially through my teenage days. I was busy with friends and long phone calls, talking about nothing. But you would always understand, and stood by me even if mom or any of my brothers complained. You would just say 'she will learn soon'.. The actual words, which I'll never forget.. " Christmas a la hmang tlem anih hi, a hman tam hunah a la thiam/fel ve mai ang" :-)
When we were small, during mornings, you would turn up the radio to the maximum volume to wake us, and we, lazy as ever, would still cover ourselves up. You would never get angry. But if we had slept too long, you'd take off our sheets, and that was a sign that showed you were pretty mad by then.
I won't ever forget that night, 31st december 2000, New Year's eve. All my friends made plans, and I stayed home. I didn't want to wait for the New Year, and so I went to bed. But you came and woke me up at 12, wished me, and called me out the balcony to watch the fireworks. I'm telling you Dad, that was one of the most beautiful and memorable moment of my life. Just me and you, and the beautiful sky.
Talking about sky, this reminds me about the shooting stars that we both watched late at 2 am, during my 10th standard Selection exam. There were so many shooting stars (i think this was the one we saw that night), and I was up because I had to prepare for my exams (believe me, selection exam was "the" toughest!). While I was waiting , you came out, and we watched the sky. You told me to make a wish. I guess I was so selfish, I just wished that I would do well in my exams. I should have wished for you to have good health. But thank God, till today you are well.
In so many ways, I'm like you dad.. I don't talk much to people that I'm not close to. And I don't know how to strike a conversation, and would rather keep quiet like you. But I can talk all nonsense, non-stop to people I'm close to, again just like you :-)
Remember when I was in 12th standard, I went to attend a camp program conducted by our church, which was against the school rule. And as expected, the Principal asked us to bring our parents. I won't ever forget that day, how the Principal scolded you, he used all sorts of hurting words, but you just sat there and bore the pain, all for me. Because if you had answered him back, I would have been expelled from school. I felt sad but proud of you at the same time.
Dad, I'm proud of you in so many ways. Thank you for keeping such a big family together till today. Thank you for loving mom. Thank you for your patience. I love you so much and I want to make you proud. I WILL make you proud.
Thank you Lord, for giving me a dad who cares, who loves me unconditionally, and please take his soul to heaven when his time comes, for he deserves the best.
Love you Dad, always.
My Dad loves to work, he reared pigs, chickens, ducks, even turkeys back in the days, apart from his office work; he knows carpentry; he can fix just about anything; he loves to cook; he loves to garden; he grew all kinds of vegetables, from tomatoes to squashes to carrots. But now, he cannot work as much since he has been suffering from sciatica for years, and cannot make much use of his legs lately. Even though he's a man of few words, i would laugh to tears at his jokes. For a man in his 70's, he still looks young, compared to his friends. BTW, I'm planning to let him read the original version of this on Sunday i.e Father's Day (21st June 2009). Hope he'll like it. My fingers are crossed :-)

21 comments:
Mim, u've outdone yourself yet again.
I'm sure your Dad is very proud of you...
nice... i've wanted to write something like this abt my parent for quite sometime. never been able to get started.
it's a blessing to realize that you are blessed
@Rita: I hope so.. Thanks my friend
@makima: start writing! time waits for no one :-)
Sing a song to your dad. I'll pick one for you - Jimmie Rodgers "Daddy and home", one of my favourite.
Some more - Holly Dunn's "Daddy's Hands", Jim Reeves's "But you love me daddy".
I wish... dad was still here with me. Your post reminds me of my happier times with him. Happy Father's Day... your dad is proud of you.
Uncle rocks! Their entire family rocks. :-) Give my greatest love to him on Father's Day too.
If 10% of us feels the same way as you do, we can make heaven on earth!
Chhiar tir ngei ngei rawh,he'll be surely PROUD of you!
@Joseph: Just listened to all three of 'em.. Thanks..
daddy and home - one of my fav too
Daddy's hands - Lovely!!
But you love me daddy - so cute!
Your dad is proud of you too :-), Happy Father's Day.. Have a good day ai'te..Just treasure the good times you had with him
@illusionaire: Will pass on your love.. "Daddy rocks".. just imagine him rocking..hihihi..
@VaiVa: Thank You!
Nia, ka chhiar tir ngei ngei ang.. a laih thlak ve tep maithei ani..hehe. Mahse tih ngei2 a ngai
cheers. it's pretty awesome that u acknowledge the importance of William hanging on there with u and all of us. Hey he is quite a trooper, at least i can make fun of him and joke around with him in a silly way. he is legit!!!
Hail fathers.
@Priscilla: remember the "throw it up the mosquitoe net" incident??? lolzz.. i still laugh thinkin back bout that. Yup, dad is fun to be with..
"long phone calls" or was them long distance phone calls???
Spoiling the precious only daughter- EPIC WIN
Happy Fathers day , belatedly btw
Lo leng lut ve mai mai teng :). Scooty thar i neih kha, min phur ve rawh aw. U Ri-i hian a awt ve awm mange. Hman zanah ka hmuh che kha! Ka jak leh ci.. ehehe
@Opa: nope.. long local calls, girl talk FYI..hehehe.. ka pa in "hriaem-i" min ti thin..:-P
@Vana: ohhhh..that was you.. in Kulikawn right?... in race pui ah ka sawm dawn che a, mahse min cho loh hmel ltk a, ka khawngaih che a..lolzz.. lo leng fo don nia :-)
Mim...I felt envy you...coz you are such a luckies among the daughters and having such a great father who really cares and loves you!!
I remember when my Dad touch me how to play the guiter when I was 10 but it was such so short time!!! I wish I could recall......
Merry Christmas
@Anonymous: :-)Thank you. I know i'm one lucky girl..
@Naupang^Fel: Merry engagement! :-D Min sawm ve lova, awm alawm.
I've got two kids, but didn't get any Fathers Day Card, so I read your blog and made it mine. You did leave me with a little lump in my throat.Softy me!It made me feel good.
@dr.feelgood: Wow! I had a rough day today, and reading your comment lightened me up. Thank you so much!
I'll be a dick on this one..
Lots of ppl (especially girls) get emotional about their parents once in a while....which is OK. But most of em wud go out the very next day and do exactly the opposite of what their parents would have wanted (But not u, u r a gooooood girl :-) .... The best way a daughter can show gratitude to her Dad is to make every necessary personal sacrifice to ensure that she is doing her best to fulfill her father's dreams for her... the usual excuse is 'I have a different dream etc etc' which is usually an euphemism for 'I am too lazy to do anything worthwhile..'
@Edward: sorry for the late reply.. i've been a bit busy :-)
You know there were a few choices i had to make, big choices (or so i thought) where dad and i did not agree at some points. But, i managed to unwillingly obey him, and i do not regret a bit. Somehow, Daddy (and Mommy) always knows whats best for us.
Post a Comment